Quote of the Week

"If I picked a rose for everytime I thought of you, I'd be picking roses for a lifetime!" -anonymous

Friday, May 20, 2011

Strait.... or Straight?

Strait.... or Straight? These two words are pronounced exactly the same way, but they mean two totally different things. In my seminary class today, we had an amazing lesson. Gotta love seminary. Always makes the day like ten times better. We had a lesson on polygamy. I know, I know... polygamy. Everyone hates learning about polygamy. I know I do. When my teacher told us that is what we were going to be discussing today, I thought in my head, "Yes... nap time!" But not this lesson. This lesson was different. We talked about following the prophet. Brigham Young had 27 wives!! Holy cow!! But he did it... because that is what the lord commanded him to do. He was simple just being faithful to our Heavenly Father.
We got on the topic of the Strait and Narrow Path. What does "strait" really mean? And why is it spelt 'strait' and not 'straight' like it normally is. In Hebrew, strait means: narrow. So really the saying "The Strait and Narrow Path" is "The narrow and extremely narrow path." That is how my seminary teacher put it. When he said this, it was like a huge spiritual boulder hit me straight in the face! The Strait and Narrow Path, isn't really straight! If it was, we wouldn't have to pay attention to everything that is happening around us. It would be too easy for us to make it back to Him. It is like driving. If you are driving on a straight road, you kind of just go in a daze and don't really pay attention to things going on. On the other hand, when you are driving up a mountain with curves, turns, bumps in the road, you have so much more focus and attention to what is going on. Same with the Strait and Narrow Path. The path gets narrower and narrower, and as you keep going, obsticles and challenges come in your way to try and make you so you can't make it back to your Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father simple lets this happen to you, to see how faithful and determined you are to make it back to him. He just simple wants you back home with him safe and sound. That is all he wants. You have a fork in the road and you have to decide which way to go. You're going through life and the prophet announces, "I have been instructed by the Lord that we need to wear pink shirts and blue too-too's everyday of our lives." Would you do it? It's a simple yes or no question. That is the fork in the road. Left is yes, I would follow the prophet and have the faith that I have to keep going. Right is no, that is stupid and crazy and there is no way I would follow that ridiculous statement, I'm leaving the church. Which way would you go?...
I would hope that you would go left. Even if the instructions are as bizarre as wearing a pink shirt and a blue too-too everyday of your life. By going left though, more obsticles and challenges are going to be coming your way like a bullet. Don't get discouraged, stay close to the Lord and everything will be alright. No army is stronger than God. With God on your side, you are unstoppable and invincible!! Who would want that!? When things get tough... keep going... and endure to the end. You'll make it eventually.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, we both wrote about the straight/strait and narrow path today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that's awesome! we are definitely related!! :)

    ReplyDelete